Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Ho, ho, ho! Holiday LOVVVESSSS AND HATTTTESSSS

Merry Christmas, Happy No World Ending, etc, ETC!

Hope all of you Iowans survived the ice/snow storm.  The studio internet is rockin' again and I have some catching up to do on here.  The good news about being iced in with no internet for a few days the week before Xmas is that FOR ONCE, I was all done wrapping BEFORE Christmas.  Yay!! Unlike most of the population, I really LIKE late Christmas shopping.  What can I say, I work better under pressure.  The only problem I endure with it is the massive amounts of last-min wrapping every year.  The husband is never impressed because he has to help me when I start coming unraveled in a sea of scissors, tape and paper at 2:00 a.m. on Christmas Eve Eve.  But not this year :)

I am HUGE on shopping local when you can.  This is a big deal in my world.  Sorry, but you can't shop totally local when it comes to makeup...that's where Sephora comes in.

Anyway, here are a couple of my FAVORITE local haunts:

#1 - Mint Green Boutique!  Love love in love with this store!  It's a mixture of vintage, handmade, recycled and new clothing and accessories.  I've been loving this store for a few years and you should, too!  It is sooooo cute!  They have a new location in the Village of East Davenport and it's darlingggg.  Hello, they sell wine glasses with owls stenciled on them and t-shirts that say "You've cat to be kitten me."  What more can you want?!

I bought two of the cuuuuutest winter sweaters there and I've been wearing them non-stop.  I get tons of people asking me, "OMG where did you buy your sweater!?" when I'm out and about...you know it's money well spent when complete strangers stop and ask me EVERY TIME I'm rockin' them.



Photo stolen from Mint Green's FB page :)

When I put it on yesterday, Will goes, "That a huge shirt!"  HAHA.  Luv it.

Here is the other one, photo also stolen from Mint Green:



I've been rocking these guys with my previously-blogged about boots.  Not having a skinny day?  No worries - you can fit a small army in here with you so just wrap up and roll out.  When I put mine on the other day, Will said, "That a huge shirt!"  Yes, it is, buddy :)


#2 - Zum Bar Soap by Indigo Wild (Kansas City) and The SoapBox (Dav) - OMGGGGG!!!!!  I've recently become obsessed with yummy local (or local-ish) soaps.  My obsession started when I passed a display in the health section at HY-VEE (of all places!!) and was stopped dead in my tracks.  I was like, "OMG what is that smell?!  It smells like the yoga studio!!!"  One of my fave yoga studios smells so delicious but I never really could figure out what the smell was - some type of beach flowers mixed with spices mixed with world peace.  Anyway, randomly at Hy-Vee, I find these beautiful soaps by Indigo Wild, based out of Kansas City.  Belle and I are now obsessed.  We are have been rocking the Oatmeal Lavender, Lemon Lavender, Sea Salt, Citrus-Mint, etc.  It's a serious decision whenever we open a new bar because we want to open them all and start using them all immediately.  

[Photo courtesy of Indigo Wild] and now that I've seen this pic, I want to order that giant gift box!  Ha!

Belle and I are allergic to everything so if we aren't allergic to it, there is no way you are either.  Supposedly, all Hy-Vee Health Markets carry the Zum products.  I am excited for my next trip to KC when I can check out the actual store and the stuff Hy-Vee doesn't carry.  Until then, I shall shop at Hy-Vee and at Indigo Wild's online store.

Alright, so during my Xmas adventures I stop into The Soapbox in the Village of East Davenport.  I have noticed this store in the past but never stopped.  WHY OH WHY!  In.love.  THEY HAVE SO MANY AWESOME THINGS!  From higher-end like Crabtree & Evelyn to local cute soaps, they have everything.  Yum.  Smells divine in there, too.  I was so happy to find that joint; IT WAS PERFECT!  I bought a bunch of Christmas prizes for people there: holiday soap sets made in Davenport by Iowa Naturals and lotions made in Bettendorf by Paige Meadows.


#3 - Von Maur  LOVVVVVE it always and forever.  I totally consider Von Maur "local" because they ARE based in the Quad Cities!  :)  Don't want to go to that family holiday gathering that your husband is trying to convince you to go to??  Consider extorting some new boots from Von Maur out of him in exchange for your attendance.  Trust me on this one.  ;)

And right outside of Von Maur (at least the mall closest to us):  "Santa at the Mall."  CLASSIC!!!  Love it.


HHHHAAAATTTTESSSS

#1 - I hate that I always forget when the good holiday cartoons are on or I remember and can't watch them.  Charlie Brown, Rudolph, etc.  No bueno!

#2 - OK, here is the deal!  I mean this in a very positive way, I swear.  I really wish the Salvation Army would let me pay a flat fee in advance and I could have some kind of badge to flash the bell ringers!  I cannot carry cash!  It's a serious problem I have...like an ailment.  If I have $1.00, I will stop at the pop machine in Maysville and spend $1.25 on a Diet Mt. Dew for no reason.  If I have $50 in my wallet, I spend $51 somehow.  I do much better with plastic.  And, as mentioned above, I cover A LOT of ground in the couple weeks before Christmas.  I literally cannot pay off all of these hundred bell ringers I see because I never have cash and I feel so HORRIBLE!

#3 - I hate how fast Christmas is over.  It seems like the little ones unwrap presents in two seconds flat.  Until next year!


Well, happy unwinding, putting away toys and gift card spending to all!  :)

Thanks for reading!!  Have a wonderful night of recovery!  xoxo!!

Much love!
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment